Friday, April 23, 2010

Chirp Chirp,,, All Quiet on the Western Front


yep... it's been quiet around here.

I think my blogging days are numbered. When we were in the throes of adoption, this was a great way to unload those confusing, frustrating, joyful and sad thoughts and feelings. It was also a great place to share our family happenings.

Selam has been home with us over 8 months now. We are finding our new normal and settling in nicely. With both Mark and I working, 4 kids in school (Al in daycare full time), 3 in sports ... well, free time is practically non-existent. When we do squeeze a few drops, both Mark and I have been investing a little more into some new hobbies, which has been good for us.

The truth is - I still have a lot to share. Lots of thoughts and feelings, especially about adopting an older child. And thoughts and feelings about our first adoption - completed OVER TWO YEARS AGO - wow. And yet, I'm feeling very hesitant. I think that sharing these experiences, concerns and joyful moments would have a lot of value for other families. Maybe for moms in my position - or prospective parents, searching for more information before taking the leap. I know I SCOURED blogs during both our processes.

But I can't.

Maybe it's Selam's age. And the other kids are getting older. And we've shared real names. And photos. And personal information. This blog is far from anonymous. And although I think that being honest and sharing would have value - for me perhaps, for other parents - I think there is too much risk to my kids. And their needs trump right now.

I guess if there is anyone left out there reading (which I kinda doubt!) that would like to talk (or email) with someone about older child adoption or the like, I'd love to do it. Please leave a comment and we'll figure out how to connect. But I'm not comfortable putting our lives out here quite as openly as I am tempted to.

So, for the time being at least, I don't plan to pull the blog down. It's now about 3 years old (!) and the thought of deleting it makes me sad! But I may. Or, I may pop back in now and then. I've learned to never say never. Maybe now that I've posted this, I'll get all kinds of inspiration (and time!) .

For now, I'll just say that I do not regret starting this blog, silly as I thought it was at the time. :) It got me through some really hard times. And it meant a lot to share those with you. And the joyful times - you sharing our joy just made us feel exponentially happier. The friends and the connections have been priceless.

Thank you for all your love and support.







I guess we'll just see where things go from here...

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I definitely can relate. I appreciate your heart and can't believe Selam has been home 8 months! Wow. You guys are amazing. Hugs. :)

Single PAP said...

wow, she looks so old and grown up! 13??? really? wow! and her hair is so long!

since i met her at layla i always like to see pics and updates but i understand.

Denise said...

I so enjoy reading your blog. I can understand not wanting to share everything with the world, I think that's a smart thing. But what you want to and can share, I'm still reading!!

HollyMarie said...

I'm still reading too. :) Post when you can, what you can, and I'll enjoy keeping tabs on ya! :)

Shannon Family said...

[A]typical Mom,

I'm an atypical mom as well, or will be shortly. Lisa at One Thankful Mom directed me to your site a few months ago since we are in the throes of an older sibling adoption from Ethiopia. I've read through some of your more recent posts and have been greatly encouraged by your experience. If you're willing, I would love to connect with you via email. We could use all of the advice and input you have to offer. My email is lisamshannon at hotmail dot com. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

The Ellens Family said...

I would love to hear more on older child adoption:) Not ready yet...still thinking about it and wondering. We should get together this summer, not sure if you are working part time or full time?
Nicole

Mike said...

I am writing to ask for your permission to include your posts on
AdoptionExperiences.com and include a link to your blog in our
directory. We would
include a link back to your blog fully crediting you for your work
along with a profile about you listed on AdoptionExperiences.com .
Please let us
know as soon as possible.

Mike@adoptionexperiences.com

Mike Thomas
Editor-in-Chief
AdoptionExperiences.com

Calico Sky said...

I have just read your blog this evening and have enjoyed it so much! I'd be so interested in reading more about your experiences adopting an older child. I was a foster parent to children 4-9 and am trying to adopt an infant currently (very SN child) but after that was thinking of two older children.
Your family is really lovely!