Friday, September 18, 2009

My wish list - books


I love to read. I have for as long as I can remember. I used to have a bit of a code - 99% of the time, I would finish any book I started, even if I didn't like it much. It drove me NUTS not to finish a book. Oh, and I would only read one book at a time.

I'm not quite sure when this changed, but my "code" is gone!!!

I rarely get to finish books any more - even those I like! And I am often reading 6 at a time. All the info seems so important and what is fascinating tonight might put me to sleep tomorrow... And let's be real. If I can squeeze in 10 min of coherent reading before I pass out, it's a good day.

But I've got a number of books that are waiting in line fore me. Some I've started, some I've read lots of, but most are just patiently waiting for me to clear out some of the clutter earlier in the line!!! Just thought I'd share a few for a random post today - feel free to share your books in the comments section (or I love recommendations!).

:)

The Connected Child by Dr. Purvis (I read quite a lot of this one, but then it was overdue at the library!)

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey (Yes, I realize I'm the last person to read this. I started it earlier this summer and didn't finish it. Perhaps it is my lack of effectiveness! Maybe this one should get pushed to the top of the list...)


The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren (another one that I've read quite a bit of, but just haven't put the time and effort into really using the book like I should)



Hmm... I can't even remember the other 10 million that are on my list...

So, for a little change of pace, how about some recommended reading (that I actually finished that you should too?)

For mom's of any family size: A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family by Mary Ostyn (aka Owlhaven)

For job-seekers or those looking to make a career move:

Anything by Malcolm Gladwell. He does WONDERFUL audio books - very worthwhile if you like that sort of thing. Even if you don't agree with all his conclusions or explanations, I think he raises some fascinating points and ideas.

And last, but not least, a book for those of us that think the fear of this world has gotten a bit out of hand. That want our kids to have some of the same kind of fun we had as children...

2 comments:

Jillienne said...

Thanks, I have been looking to add to my reading list!

Andrea said...

Hey I have never read the highly effective book... hhhmmm could answer a few questions. ;o)
Thanks for the reading list, they are great!