Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 - Personal Year-In-Review

I an across this little survey/questionnaire on Jess's blog, (which is very entertaining!). Alrighty, here we go!


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Travel to Africa! Parent 4 kids!


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? hmm... I don't believe I made any last year. Although I'm sure I told myself I'd lose weight or something equally as meaningless. I'm not a big fan of the word "resolution" so this year I am making myself some promises (probably will post on that topic eventually...)


3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yep, friends are finally starting to pop out kiddos left and right. Sadly for them, it'll take awhile to catch up to us! Whoot whoot


4. Did anyone close to you die? fortunately, no


5. What countries did you visit? Ethiopia! Technically I was "in" Germany and Sudan too, but since I didn't leave the airport in the former or the airplane in the latter, not sure that counts?


6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Five tax deductions-I-mean-kids? Here's hoping for Jan 29...


7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I like this one...

Feb 14 - finally passed court on our 6th try and got our valentines gift!
March 11 - met Abi and Hana for the first time!!!
March 23 (Easter) - arrived home with our kiddos
June 1 (ish) - knew, for sure, in our hearts, that *S* was also meant to be our daughter
Nov 4 - obvious reasons

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I'm still standing (well, I'm currently sitting, but you know what I mean)


9. What was your biggest failure? I don't think I like this question. It doesn't jive with my [fairly recent] attempt to concentrate on the positive. So I shall ignore it.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury? If you count the spectactularly horrible stomach bug that I had 2 weeks ago?


11. What was the best thing you bought? 2008 was a year of [relative] frugality, but I think our best purchase may have been our biggest - the Beast! Otherwise, I would have to say our plane tickets to Ethiopia, hands down. What an amazing experience.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Whoever got gas back under $1.50/gallon? My gas-guzzler and budget thank you. And I think this is a prime opportunity to give a shout-out to the Stanley-cup-winning Detroit RedWings!


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

(a) Got to put Congress, Bush, Paulson, Bernanke, etc here for this one. You can't take $700 billion tax payer dollars and NOT show up on my 2008 list can you? Oh, wait, I think the PC name is the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. That sound much better, right?!


(b) But for a bit of balance, I'd like to follow it up with the many financial institutions that gambled on bad investments and are now holding their hands out. I could throw a whole lot more in here unfortunately, but I don't want to tick too many people off in one sitting... :)


(c) And one CANNOT forget the impressiveness of the Detroit Lions this year. 0-16 record should just not be ignored.

14. Where did most of your money go? See #13(a) above. j/k.

Ethiopia?


Nah, not really, but I like to say that when people ask about my 401k. Although, I guess the jokes on them - I have 2 more wonderful children, an amazing investment. How is your portfolio looking?


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Traveling to Ethiopia (and crossing an ocean for the first time!)

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? This was a hard one for me. The only thing I can come up with is Beautiful One by Jeremy Camp. I used it in our ET slideshow and it just will always remind me of Ethiopia now I think... and Ethiopia will definately remind me of 2008!


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

2008 was a very blessed year on many, many levels. I have even higher hopes for 2009!


18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Spend real and true, honest-to-goodness quality time with my family, especially my kids. They are growing up SO fast.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Work.


20. How did you spend Christmas? Perfectly - with just our family. Playing with new toys, napping, movie-watching, just enjoying being together.


21. Did you fall in love in 2008? Every day, more and more deeply.


22. What was your favorite TV program? Well, in 2008 I fell in LOVE with the Wire. Sadly, it is no longer on and I had to get my fix via Netflix!


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I am not sure I have ever truly hated anyone. I hope I never do.


24. What was the best book you read? I had a few this year that I really liked. Hold onto Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers (wonderful parenting book - and I'm not usually a huge fan of that genre; highly recommend it); I also just finished The Only Road North which was very good (and the author is local, which was very interesting to me). Since my memory does not stretch back past 2 months for such things, that's about as good as it gets. Oh yeah, My Sister's Keeper was also fab.


25. What was your greatest musical discovery? hahaha. Not my category. Mark probably has some good ones. I *discover* them when he puts new stuff on my IPOD. :)


26. What did you want and get? A bigger family!


27. What did you want and not get? An even bigger family :( (hopefully soon *S*!)


28. What was your favorite film of this year? Slumdog Millionaire - go see it, please.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? We didn't do too much, just a little Christmas shopping and hanging out with the family. It was great. Oh, and I turned 27.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Interesting question... I'm not sure I can answer that! I really don't think I can pinpoint something like that. I don't want to think there is just this one thing, one event, one activity, one whatever that would make things more satisfying. Obviously we would've been thrilled to have *S*'s adoption finalized in 2008 (just like we really wanted Abi and Hana's finalized in 2007) but I have learned [am learning] to trust in God's timing, even when it is very, very hard.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Non-existent?


32. What kept you sane? Mark. Hands down.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I've never thought about "fancying" anyone. Sounds so British and fun! hmmm... An obvious answer would be Obama (whether you agree with his politics or not, he is a very interesting public figure). I'd like to venture out a bit more, but not feeling terribly inspired at this point. The only other one I can think of is Don Cheadle. I just love that guy, not to mention the amazing work he has done raising awareness of the dire situation in Darfur.


34. What political issue stirred you the most? There are quite a few, most of which I don't want to get into (I promised Mark to stay away from politics!)


35. Who did you miss? Early 2008 - Abi and Hana; 2 weeks in March - Ally; ever since - *S*

On a daily basis, I also really miss my close friends. We are scattered all over the state (and the country) and sometimes I just really want to play hooky and grab a coffee and "fill up my tank" so to speak. I miss having the opportunity to do that...

36. Who was the best new person you met? Three way tie: Abi-Hana-*S* :)


37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. It's a lesson that I apparently need to learn over and over, but it would be that things happen when they are supposed to happen. I know there is something *bigger* and I need to trust in that.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Oh, that was good. So hard to think of answers to those questions, huh? I'm hoping S comes home to your family soon!!