Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Catching Up - Camping!

Whew! It's been a crazy couple of weeks. Sorry so quiet. I kept waiting for time to write a "real" post... I should know by now that I'll never have time to do anything! Our lives have finally been interesting enough to write about - and I don't have time to write! But, to sum it up a bit, here goes.

Two weekends ago we participated in the first annual Michigan EthioKids Camping Extravaganza! We started planning this back in January and I've been looking forward to it ever since! About 10 families or so camped for the weekend and others joined us just for the day on Saturday for a potluck. All of the families had adopted from Ethiopia or are in the process - and it seemed that most had brought their kids home in the last 9 months or so.

It felt so good to be understood! To be around families that LOOKED like us.
We shared stories, concerns, funny tidbits ... the kinds of things that my non-adoption friends tolerate when I discuss, but aren't really all that interested. ;) And it was great for the kids too - new friends. No regard to color. Loved it, loved it! Most of the families don't live all that far from us. We need to make a real effort to get together on a regular basis. I just had so much fun getting to know everyone!

Camping itself could've been better. Friday night was a thunderstorm (my first in a tent!) so Mark and I slept horrible! The kids actually stayed asleep all night, but they were flip-flopping all over the place. But all in all the kids did great. They had a ton of fun, were well behaved, ate a lot of junk. All that good stuff. Unfortunately we couldn't camp the 2nd night b/c Mark had to leave early on Sunday for something, but it was still a great weekend.
I really do hope it becomes an annual event. ;)


What a fun (crazy, stressful?) car ride when the van is packed to capacity (and then some!)



Fun around the campfire




Best buds ... most of the time.




Abi loves the beach! Notice above he buried himself in his PJs. Why did we wear PJs to the beach? Nevermind that.



No comments: