Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Where I'm Coming From

Okay, so this post(s) is long overdue. In fact, this post was meant to be a direct prelude last week, but alas, life with 4 young kiddos often gets in the way!

I don't even know where to begin. Any of you who actually read this blog or have spoken with me these last few months know that I've been searching. What for? I was never quite sure. All I knew was that I had been changed by my time in Ethiopia and I couldn't go back. Back to the person I was before. Well meaning, but naive.

I was pleased to find my first step, my first ray of focus. The Red Letter Campaign (RLC).

You know that old saying, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Well, this was my first bite. ;)

I saw a few references to it on several blogs, but I never looked too closely. To be perfectly frank, many adoption bloggers are very overtly Christian and very, very open in their faith. Although I have absolutely no problem with that, I've never been very comfortable at being particularly forthcoming with my own faith. So, I sort of brushed it off initially - something for those "serious" Christians. Something I wasn't ready to call myself.

But I finally took a look. I saw that RLC was hosting a conference call for anyone that was interested in being a part of its "Launch Ethiopia" campaign. I decided to give it a try. Over 60 people joined in this call on a Thursday morning. It was a lot of people like me - excited, desiring to do the ever elusive something, yet not quite knowing what to do!

I felt rejuvenated. I felt some hope that I might be able to find a way to make a difference, even if it was small. =) One of the major contributors to Children's Hopechest, who is working with RLC, is Tom Davis, the author of the book Red Letters. He offered a free copy of the book to anyone that would review it on their blog. Well, you know me and free stuff. So, short story long, here we are. =)



No comments: