Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hunger

Did your parents ever make you clean your plate because "there are children starving in China"? I don't think mine ever used that line on me, but I can't help but think of that cliche when I see stories like this and this gracing our headlines each day. In Ethiopia, one country alone - a country that is only 2/3 the size of Alaska - 4.5 million people are hungry today. And not just hungry - starving.

It just blows my mind when I see statistics that over 60 million Americans are classified as obese. I am not attempting to be negative or attack the overweight here - much to my frustration I have battled my own weight for years (and am currently failing miserably). As I struggle to only have one or two cookies after a satisfying meal, I often forget those half way across the world that don't know when their next meal will be or where it will come from.

And I can't help but wonder why the divide between the "haves" and the "have nots" is as wide as ever.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Great and deep stories Cat, and so true. Wow, I too have a huge passion for third world countries and what's going on over there. But it seems like when I stuff a cookie in my face I seem to forget. I am going to have to put this on my fridge. Just loved your post. Thank you.