Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What can I possibly do??

Do you ever just feel so ... small? Like there is so much violence and hate and suffering in the world and we can't do anything about it? So let's just get back to our Starbucks and American Idol and let the powerhouses of the world figure things out? I feel like this sometimes. Things are just so overwhelming that I want to hide in my world of comfort and possessions. Enjoy a little Dance Dance Revolution on the Wii and catch the latest episode of Lost without guilt! So what if there are starving children in China! I don't want to clean my plate mom!

But other times I want more - I want to HELP. I want to feel like I'm doing something - and actually DO something - like I'm making a difference in the world.
And those feelings are equally frustrating. Because no matter which side of the coin I'm on that day, the problems seem so insurmountable.

I mean, really, what can I (me?!) do about the
tragedy of the quakes in China, the horrible instances of starvation in Ethiopia, the suffering in Darfur or the many other atrocities going on in our world today?

The sad truth is that we all feel this way. Even the Clintons and the Bushes, the Mother Theresas and the Ghandis, the saint and the sinner. But if we all do something, as seemingly insignificant as that may seem, this would would be a different place.
So what can we do?