Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving - What are YOU Thankful for?

Happy Belated Thanksgiving everyone!!!! We just returned home from my mom and dad's today and after a [few] busy week(s) at work, I finally have a moment to post. Sorry I've been quiet! It's hard to even know what to write actually. Some days I have so much I want to say that I can't even think straight to do so. Other days I just get caught up in thought and can't write a thing!

But back to Thanksgiving. We had a great time seeing my parents, sister, brother and his family, grandpa and his lady friend (wink wink), as well as my mom's sister and her husband who were visiting from Florida. My aunt Gale, mom, sister and I braved Black Friday madness yesterday. EXHAUSTING. But I did get some good deals and a good chunk of my shopping done - yeah! And it was really nice to have more visiting time.

What am I thankful for this year? Hard to narrow it down. I'll write the first five things that come to mind, in no particular order:

(1) Family - both immediate and extended. Those I see and those I don't. And those that are halfway around the world that I hope will (legally) join us forever on Friday! I have learned a lot about my family in the last year. I guess there is nothing like an adoption to really pull people together and let them show what they're made of. Fortunately, Mark and I are so lucky to be surrounded by family that is extremely proud of us and supportive (even if they don't quite understand all our decisions...). That means the world. Oh, I can't wait to get my 2 other children home!!! (complete understatement of the year)

(2) Old Friends - I'm very lucky to have more than a few great friends. I don't have to talk to them once a day, month or even year (although I prefer to!). Whenever I do get to see them and have a good chat, we just pick up where we left off. And even though some of them are now sprinkled across the country (or just down the street but busy) I know that if I ever truly needed them, they would be there for me in a heartbeat.

(3) New Friends - Here is a shout out to our little "discussion" group (and you know who you are!). I don't honestly know what I would've done without you these last couple of months. I have learned so much from all of you - and we've never even met! I can't wait for the day that we do and that we can start sharing the trials and joys of (finally!) having our kids home with us!!! A very, very sincere thank you.

(4) Something Greater than us all - I grew up in a religious family. I've always believed in God, and truly, even during some of the scariest times, I've always trusted in Him. But I don't have the spiritual depth that I have come across through our adoption journey. A sense of peace that so many have. Such deep trust, even through things that I know would've tested my faith. So I'm not there. But I'm still moving forward. And that is something to be thankful for. Because whatever "He" is, wherever He is, I know he is watching out for us or we wouldn't be where we are now.

(5) Chocolate. I don't have to explain this one do I?

1 comment:

the Isaacs said...

I'm so thankful too! Don't know what I would have done these last couple months without our little group! :)